Month: July 2017

Bits and Pieces

Posted on

The good news is the wing kit leaves the US on the 8th of August. Until it arrives however, there is a number of things that I am trying to get finished off so I can focus on the wings when it gets here.

The horizontal stabiliser and elevator are out for media blasting and finish welding. They needed work as they are just starting to get surface rust just sitting in the garage bare and I want to get some primer on them. Thats what you get with humidity I guess.

I am now riveting the upper wing fuel tank. Should have that finished quite quickly but will wait to have it welded because I need to check the clearances in the wing and particularly underneath the tank to make sure the clearance of the drain/fuel line flanges are acceptable. I will build a drilling template also to locate the holes in the lower surface of the wing.

I am also still completing the second and last butt rib for the upper wing, which is different than a butt rib from the standard wing. This rib is a 1/2″ think rather than the standard 1/4″ and has the compression wood within it.

Finally I have been playing with the cabane struts, having been fortunate to scrounge some streamline tubing from a fellow builder in Canberra. Thanks Lou!!

 

 

Upper Wing Fuel Tank Part 1

Posted on

Whilst I have not posted for a while and I am still waiting on my wing kit, I decided to have a  go at some aluminium. In a previous post you saw the outside tank ends, but now onto something a little more substantial Рthe ribs and tank skin.

The plan is to make the ribs, fold the skin, bead the tank skin, drill and then match drill the ribs. Once I can cleco it together, I will then get the drains, fuel outlet and tank filler welded, before riveting and final welding. The welding and riveting will be in a separate post.

Step 1: The first thing I did was build the rib template to plans and fold the two outside tank ribs. See previous post.

Step 2: Make the four internal ribs. I used the same rib template to ensure the correct size. Then used a large hole cutter to make the holes.

One thing I learnt is make sure the hole cutter is locked and can’t move. I ended up putting a mark on the lock nut to ensure that it wouldn’t unwind and incorrectly enlarge the hole diameter. I learnt this fortunately on some scrap when figuring out how to work it. It un-did and I didn’t get a circle!!

IMG_0622IMG_0655

Also note!!!!!!! In this picture above you can see both left facing and right facing ribs. This is not shown on the plans, but I have done that so that I can reach from each side when riveting the ribs to the skin when closing it.

Step 3: Fold the skin around, match drill and cleco close. Test fit drains and filler.

IMG_0657

 

IMG_0697IMG_0698

And now….we wait for welding. Will be back for part 2 later.